The Progress I’ve Made:
- I’ve been able to come off all my medications thanks to my diet and lifestyle changes alone.
- I’ve basically resolved all my gastrointestinal symptoms by removing the foods I’m intolerant to from my diet, which for me are gluten and dairy.
- I feel like my health has stabilized, and I have enough energy to do almost everything I want to do, except maybe workout intensely. This is in contrast to being bedridden with crushing fatigue and GI symptoms a few years ago.
What I’m Still Struggling With:
- I feel chronically sleep deprived and I’m averaging only 6 to 7 hours of sleep a night.
- I still have an underweight BMI, which probably contributes to my fatigue.
- There are still ways I can improve my diet, and I can do better about eating more nutrient-dense foods.
What I’ve Learned:
- We are all unique so there is no one diet fits all. There are so many individual variances that play a role in how we react to food, such as genes, our gut microbiome, hormones, gender, environment, etc, that really, the only way to figure out which diet is optimal for your health is to experiment with it.
- Food intolerances are real and they are not the same thing as food allergies, which trigger an immune response. That is not to say that food intolerances can’t be severe. Mine
areso severe that if I’m exposed to the tiniest bit of gluten or dairy, I’m sick for days.
- Sleep affects all aspects of our health. Everyone has different sleep needs but most adults need around 8 hours, and many are not getting that. Using a sleep tracker has been revelatory for me (I use the Fitbit Charge 3), and I’ve realized that sleep deprivation may be the most significant contributor to my current issues of chronic fatigue, low BMI, and poor mood.
My Wellness Goals This Year:
- I want to try quitting sugar and caffeine.
- I want to get in the habit of exercising every day, even though I’m tired and it doesn’t feel good in the short-term.
- I want to improve my sleep so I’m averaging 8 hours a night.
- I want to meditate regularly and protect
myweekends so that I use that time to relax and recover.